Last weekend was the Dubois County Relay for Life. Our family has been participating in this event for 20 years! It started out with my dad as team captain and some of his family participating and over the years my Aunt Tami has been captain and then my cousins Emily and Gwen have been captain for years now. Over the years the number of teams has dwindled but it's still always a fun time with my cousin's. We raised some money with a few Thirty-one fundraisers and my aunt Margie sells candy bars throughout the year. Overall the Relay raised around $75,000 for the American Cancer Society this year.
After work on Friday I picked up the kids and we went home to load the car and get a bite to eat then headed to Jasper. We went to my parents first and I left the kids there so they could get to bed at a decent time while I headed into the Jasper Middle school where the event was held. We walked a bit and talked until the Luminary Ceremony started then sat down to listen to the way to long list of those we have lost and those who have or are battling cancer. Other years we have used candles but last year we had to move it into the gym due to severe weather and they improvised and used glow stick. It worked great and they used them again this year. I think it looked neat I liked all the different colors.
After the ceremony April headed home since they were leaving for Florida yet that night and Emily, Gwen, Brooke, and I started walking. Around midnight we had pizza donated by Papa Johns, then about 1:30 am I finally called it quits and headed to mom's to get a few hours of sleep. At that point we had walked 6 miles plus I had walked about 2 miles earlier that day. Emily, Brooke and Gwen stayed there Gwen went home about 4am and Brooke and Emily stayed up all night walking!
Saturday morning I got up around 7am and got the kids ready and we went back up to the track. We walked some more and visited. They had a new thing this year where we could tie dye our Relay t-shirts they gave out stickers thru the night and how ever many stickers you had you could use that many colors. I only had two so I got pink and yellow the shirts turned out really neat. They had the closing ceremony around 11:30 then we headed back to mom and dad's and ate some lunch.
Our camp site signs made by Emily and Gwen
Part of our team Emily, Me, Gwen, April, Margie and Steve then our kids
Some of our Luminary's before the ceremony, This is why we Relay!
Avari, Kenley, Aubrey, Addison
Emily Tiedying her shirt
Gwen doing her shirt
Kaden Swinging
Aubrey and Addi
We won an award for our campsite
Me and the kids walking Saturday morning
More of our Team from Saturday Morning
The next generation Relay team
No comments:
Post a Comment